The slow boat back to Falmouth

Sunday, 11 July 2010

… only slow because the wind had left us!  Barely a breath – and the wind that was was directly ahead, so we motored a great deal of the way back.  The harbour master had told us that there was a cruise liner coming in over night, and what a monster she proved to be!  She completely dominates the Fowey scene!  If we’d have stayed on buoy S7, we’d have been right by her port bow!  Not something to be looking forward to.  We were even more happy that we’d moved up river.

Pete was giving Helen more instruction in boat handling, this time under engine in a slightly rolly sea… she was amazed how much concentration it took.  As the picture shows, Pete was coaching from behind our helmsman, but he soon felt at ease, and promptly lay down to catch a few zzzzzz’s!  Helen wouldn’t let both of us disappear, so I was vaguely to hand, mostly looking out for lobster pot markers.

We had another moving lunch, prepared by me.  We were under sail by this point, having shifted course slightly and with a bit more wind… that said, it was still sailing pretty much into the wind.  Pete was at the helm and Helen tried our mackerel line (again; Pete had tried the other day but we were going too fast for it to work).  We were not exactly moving quickly, which proved good for mackerel fishing.  As I was down below in the galley, she caught a mackerel!  Not a very big one, so it was set free.  It was excellent and Helen was really chuffed, and I’d missed the moment because I was being galley slave!

The sail back took longer than the passage over to Fowey, largely because of the state of the winds.  We thought we should do it in 3-4 hours, but you forget how much pfaffing there is to do at each end.  The trip back had taken somewhere near 6 hours, which is fine and that’s what you take when you sail rather than motor… Each day becomes so different because of it, which adds to the pleasure for me.  You can be in the same ‘sailing ground’ but have very different experiences.

We all declared our first passage a huge success, and we’d certainly go back to Fowey and remember the moorings further upstream.